Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Word Plum By Helen Chasin

When I think of plums, I think of a juicy fruit thats usually enjoyed in the summer. I can remember biting into a plum in the summer and the juice getting all over my hands and arms. Dripping all over my pants and just creatig a complete mess. Unlike Helen Chasin's memory of a plum, my is innocent, a small childhood memory.

Helen Chasin's memory of a plus is sexual and full of passion. It's as if the plum stands for something eles. Like a forbidden lover. This would make sense because this poem was written in the 60's. I wonder if this poem had been written in the 20's or even the 1800's, if I wouldn't think it was so sexually charged. But then again, if it was written during those time periods, people would most likely not write so sexually about things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This poem was written in 1986...