Monday, March 17, 2008

Linda Pastan- Marks

This poem is really interesting to me. It seems like alot of the poems we have been reading have to do with parents. This one is intersting to me because it made me think that our moms are people too. They have feelings and lives of there own. Although they do like to spend there time making sure there kids are safe and happy, they are not always perfect and can't do everything at all times. Like this poem hints at, they are not here to grade or fail, they do there best and thats great. Because someone people have mothers who aren't alive or don't care about putting food on the table or how great there ironing is. So just having a mother around who loves you and cares should be all they need for a passing grade.

1 comment:

Erinn said...

Courntey, I am intrigued by your comment that the poem "made me think that our moms are people too." I think that is exactly the point Piercy is trying to make with "Marks." It's interesting that the mom in this poem seems not to be identified as a real person, but as a person who just performs certain tasks for her family. I wonder what other portrayal of moms (or women) you might find in other poems to compare to this poem?