Monday, January 14, 2008

Sonny's Blues

When I first started reading this, I was reminded of my own high school. Although the town I grew up in was nothing like Harlem, there was a lot of drug use and abuse in my high school. In the beginning when he says that he can't really remember what his brother looks like now reminds me of many classmates I had in high school. In particular it reminded me of two guys I used to date who have since gotten arrested for using drugs and have gone through the whole boot camp and prison time experience. This summer I saw one of them in the mall and he didn't even look like the same person I had once know. It makes me question, do the drugs change the way a person looks or does the things they go through to stay out of trouble and get drugs change the way they look?
After reading the letter Sonny wrote back, I wanted to know more about there childhood. Like if there parents were never around and just let them do whatever or if they had really good parents and some how Sonny just got caught up in drugs while the other brother stayed straight. Also, I wonder how his daughter died.
I'm sure everyone has some story about drugs, either they are or have been a user or know someone who is or has been a user, that's why I'm sure this story is easy for everyone to relate to in one way or another.

No comments: